Thursday, January 18, 2007

Theology and a Movie

One idea I am tempted to rip off from a hip, cutting-edge church is a movie and theology night. We would get together and watch a contemporary movie that is out on video. We could use the second projector to have the "big screen" experience. After the movie, we could analyze the theological issues that are raised by the movie. We would need someone to host it in their home, and provide popcorn and pop (or participants could bring stuff to share).

Although the vast majority of people in our church probably watch PG-13 movies, and many probably even watch R movies, do you think there would be an issue with showing some of these movies at a church event? I am certain that there would be some discomfort with us showing them at the church, but I am wondering if there would be issues if they are someone's home? I personally wish that a lot of these movies did not have the course language and other objectionable content, but since so many people are watching these movies and being influenced by them, does it make sense to watch them in a context where we can learn lessons from them about the culture we live in, about how that culture impacts us, and how we can influence and redeem the culture?

One example would be the movie "Click." I saw this last week when I was sick. It has a fair amount of course language and sexual inuendo, but it also has strong themes about purpose and meaning in life, the brevity of life, and the lack of satisfaction with the "typical" American Dream.

Please let me know your thoughts, and whether you would be a part of such a project. Also, what are some movies that you might want to watch and discuss with a group?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a couple of lines of thought here.

1. We have enough "In your face world view" without popping popcorn and inviting friends to watch. (Be in the world-not of it)

2. That being said I watch my fairs share of movies without thinking twice about the rating.. I mean nothing really bad though. There probably are some movies out there that would start a few good conversations.

Kerri said...

Hello
I think this is a very good idea. It would get people together in a different atmosphere, with possbily a different group of people. IT could strike up a conversation that ordinarly wouldn't take place, and you get to know your fellow chrisitain brothers/sisters outside of the comfortable church atmosphere.
Chris and I would be willing to host a movie night.
As far as the movie, I have no clue, we could all brainstorm together.
Kerri Halberg

Anonymous said...

I think this is a good idea too. I don't watch a lot of movies, but this would be more purposeful. I agree with Kerri that people would mingle and get to know a little bit more about each other in this kind of atmosphere.
Bonnie Nelson

Anonymous said...

We would be willing to host a movie night in our home as I think it is a great way to connect with non-Christian friends. And I think a friendly debate/discussion afterwards would be fruitful if God's truth was spoken with boldness.

My Thoughts:
I do think that as Christians we often live very naively in a sub-culture which is totally disconnected with how the rest of the world thinks and lives. Sometimes a movie can give us insight to the world that we do not or should not as Christians personally experience. An example is a movie we watched recently, Human Trafficking.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2005/10/24/disturbing_human_trafficking_captures_brutality_of_sex_slavery/

It was a VERY disturbing film and showed the horror and depravity of the sex trade. But yet, I watched it with my 16 year old daughter because I wanted to make her aware of the evil and dangers out there so she could better protect herself. It also opened my eyes and made me more compassionate for anyone involved in the sex trade industry. Yes, some women may choose the industry voluntarily but they are still a victim of it.

The movie also made me ponder the thoughts of..

Are we as a church eating with "tax-gatherers and sinners"? Am I? Are we as a church ministering just to those who are "healthy" or to "those who are ill"? Am I? Can the way we have always "done church" really be culturally relevant enough to reach people who are in desperate need of the Great Physician?

These are questions that God is still working out in my heart as to what I should do - but a key verse keeps coming back to me:

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." James 1:27

I think it is important to note that it says "unstained" - not "to keep oneself from the world."

Becky Dean

Pastor Kevin said...

Thanks for the input everyone. I think this is something we should at least try. I appreciate that a couple of you are willing to host, and I will follow up with you to try to get something scheduled.

Any recommendations for movies? I don't think I'd want to start with the human trafficing one, but it might be one to do after we had built up a some interest.