Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year!

Made any resolutions? Feel free to post them here. Not only might it inspire us all, it will help you to actually carry them out.

A couple of my resolutions:
1. Resolved: To see to it that my family is up and running by a certain time each morning and to do devotions with them before heading to work on a daily basis (except Thursdays and Sundays when I normally will be to work by 5:45!)

2. Resolved: Through more consistent excersize and better eating habits, to drop below 200 pounds.

3. Resolved: To be more disciplined in my daily prayer life and to attempt to develope disciplines of abstinence -- fasting, silence, solitude, and sacrifice.

4. Resolved: To read use "For the Love of God, Vol.1" by D.A. Carson for my devotional and Bible reading plan this year. This is a daily reading plan with daily commentaries by D.A. Carson. It is available by daily email by subscribing here.

There are some other things I will be working on as well, but you can help hold me accountable on these. Don't be afraid to ask me how it is going!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I resolve to find my place in the world.

1. Stay at home wife/part time worker

2. Full time worker/sometimes suzy homemaker

I also resolve to build new friendships this year, no matter how hard it is.

Kerri said...

Hello Kevin
how are those resolutions goin?
Ya, getting the family up in the morning? GOod luck with that!
OH and the silence thing? How is that working out for you?
Well, I resolve to be in the word more, I am setting realistic goals, maybe 5 times a week.
Exercising, for many reasons.
Praying more for people outside of my family. It gets really easy praying for what your comfortable with, your family your needs etc.
Well, who wants to keep me accountable?

Bonnie said...

Great resolutions, mind if I copy any?
Kerri, how are you doing? I am alone in my house most of the day and I still have trouble disciplining myself to pray and give God quality time.

Pastor Kevin said...

To answer Kerri's question, here is my run-down of the four resolutions I listed:

1. I have given up. It worked for about 3 days and then it died. First, I got the flu. Then, everyone was too ornery about getting up, so I quit. I know, I'm a failure!

2. This one remains to be seen and will be largely dependent on my success on 3 & 4.

3. So far, I am making progress here. I have been trying to set apart a day to fast each week. However, as I was preparing for this weeks leadership study, I was confronted with the idea of a longer fast. God impressed on me that I need to do this to prepare for the upcoming mission trip to Honduras and for personal spiritual renewal. Thus, I have embarked on a 2 week juice and water fast. I may post on this experience later to let you know what I learn from it.

4. Right on target here! (So I'm not a TOTAL failure!) I do tend to miss my reading on Sundays due to the business of my schedule, but I am able to make it up on Monday without too much trouble.

How about you guys???