Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Six Things God Has Taught Me This Year

My daughter Olivia tagged me in her blog post with the same title.  In blog culture, that means I need to respond with a post of my own.  It is a good question for all of us to ponder frequently and even to share our thoughts on, so I'll do it.  But the REAL reason I am doing it is because my little girl asked me to!

1.  If you are a visionary person, you need to be very careful about who, when, and how much of your vision you share publicly.  You also need to make it very clear when you are brainstorming versus when you are sharing actual plans of action!

2.  I need to practice disciplines of abstinence (fasting, silence, solitude, etc.) more consistently.  (And not just during deer season!!!)

3.  God is giving me a deeper understanding of the absolute ugliness of pride, self-righteousness, and all forms of idolatry -- including materialism, gluttony and lust.  For our churches to faithfully proclaim the Gospel, we must preach the horror of the sins that we are most prone to and not just the ones we see in others outside the church.

4.  I do not adequately appreciate God's kindness to me in a faithful wife, children who fear the Lord, and loyal and loving friends.

5.  Duck hunting from a kayak is a lot of fun.  

6.  There are people of all age, gender, and station in life who earnestly desire to live lives of eternal significance for the sake of Jesus, but they don't really know where to start.  I think that God wants me to focus on equipping, training and launching them.
 
Even as I wrote this, I realize how little time or thought I give to this question on any kind of regular basis.  Perhaps number 7 would be that I need to pay more attention to the lessons God is trying to teach me this year....


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Duck hunting from a kayak? Wouldn't the kick from a gun flip you over? :)

Pastor Kevin said...

Only if you are not careful! The first trip, I was nervous about that, but once I shot a few times it got a lot more comfortable. It is tricky to balance the movement of the yak, the ducks, and your body as you aim, but that's part of why it is so fun.