Thursday, December 21, 2006

Prospective Elder Training

2 Timothy and Titus lay out the qualifications for elders or overseers in the church. When I was a bit younger, I had the privilege of studying under Greg Scharf, now a Trinity Seminary professor, at our church in Fargo. He was going through a program he had put together to train men to meet the qualifications of an elder. Although we moved before I completed the whole two years of training, I view it as one of the most profitable "classes" I have ever been a part of. Greg has been kind enough to send me a copy of his syllabus, which I have been working to adapt for our use here at Chisholm Baptist.

Starting in January, I will be leading a group of men through a one year course of study that will focus on systematic theology, personal character issues, personal and spiritual disciplines, and ministry skills. I am asking men to commit to study 1-2 hours per week on the assigned topic and meet weekly to discuss the topic, to meet in accountability groups, and to pray. I am extremely excited about the potential this has for helping to develop leadership skills within our church.

Men, please prayerfully consider whether you are being called to participate in this training. Women, encourage, support, and pray for your husbands participation.

One final note of warning. When I went through this as a student, I faced some of the most intense spiritual opposition I have ever experienced. It never failed that on Monday night everything would fall apart at our house to make sure I was weary and groggy on Tuesday mornings when we met. If you participate, be prepared for opposition.

If you would like more information about the program or want a copy of the schedule, email me and I will send it to you. Kevin@chisholmbaptist.org

No comments: